Farm Worker (full time seasonal position mid March – November, approximately 40 hours /week, Monday – Friday)
Wages- $14/hour, with as much vegetables as you like. End of the year bonus is likely
Sun Love Farm is a small mixed vegetable farm in Oregon City, OR (about 30 minutes from downtown Portland) We grow about 2 acres of vegetables on a 7 acre farm. ½ an acre or so of our veggies are grown on land in Damascus, OR as well. The produce is Certified- Naturally Grown- grown beyond organic standards with sustainability and the health of the earth in mind. We have a 60 member CSA program that delivers directly to people’s homes, a 40 member Market Share program, and we attend 2 farmers markets- Oregon City and Milwaukie
The regular hours of this position will start in mid March. Work can be weather dependent in March, and it is possible that we might have some shorter part time weeks if the rain does not allow the soil to be dry enough to work.
Work typically starts 7-8am, and finishes 4-5 pm.
In a nutshell, I am looking for someone with at least 1 season of farm experience, although people who have no farm experience, but are motivated to learn and hard working can also apply. The primary tasks of this job are all the ins and outs of growing produce on a small scale. Planting and seeding in the spring, weeding with hand tools, harvesting, irrigation, mowing, weedwacking, washing produce, packing shares, and more. Keep in mind that farming is a challenging physical job. We are primarily hiring for a farm worker, but there may also be opportunities for working farmer’s markets if the candidate has interest. We are a small crew here- you will primarily be working beside the owner and the farm manager.
- Harvest– harvest crops to high quality standards for market and CSA
- Washing veggies and packing Boxes for CSA/Market- Accurately packing pre-ordered boxes for Farmer’s Market and CSA
- Weeding– use hoes, wheel hoes, flame weeders and hand tools to keep crops as clean as possible
- Planting – planting starts into the field
- Bed Preparation- using a broad fork to aerate beds, applying amendments by hand
- Seeding – seeding into trays in the propagation house
- BCS/ Small Machine use- using the BCS and weedwacker to mow and till the farm
- Irrigation- irrigating crops using a drip irrigation system.
- Ideally, 1 season of farm experience, preferably in organic small scale agriculture. People who have no farm experience, but are motivated to learn and hard working can also apply.
- Detail oriented, specifically in terms of harvesting high quality produce and accurately packing boxes.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs, frequently.
- Able to work long hours in adverse conditions
- Reliable transportation
- Good communication skills
- Ideally, experience harvesting and washing vegetables
- Able to work independently for long periods of time.
- Can stay focused on tasks for long periods
- Curiosity and willingness to learn new things
- Able to keep a positive attitude in adverse conditions
- Preferably, a love for good food
- Preferably, able to drive a standard vehicle with a trailer
- Preferable, capable of basic carpentry skills
- Preferably, capable of basic machine maintenance skills
If interested, please apply to Melissa Streng at Melissa@sunlovefarm.com
Please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references.
Applications will be reviewed starting on February 15, and then will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
People of color, women, and LGBTQ folks are encouraged to apply.