Assistant Manager (part- time, average of 24 hours/ week, mid March – October. Possibility of expanded hours later in season)
$11-12/hour depending on experience, with as many vegetables as you like
Sun Love Farm is a small mixed vegetable farm in Oregon City, OR (about 30 minutes from downtown Portland) We grow about 1.5 acre of vegetables on a 7 acre farm. All the produce is certified- naturally grown- grown beyond organic standards with sustainability and the health of the earth in mind. We attend 2 farmers markets- Oregon City and Milwaukie, and sell to a local food co-op, organizations, and a couple restaurants.
The farm is owned and run by just one woman, who is also a momma and full time caretaker of a nearly 1 year old little girl.
In a nutshell, I am looking for someone with at least 1 year of farm experience (ideally 2 years), to help me run the farm. The primary tasks of this job are seeding, planting, harvesting, weeding, and irrigating, but if you are interested in working the farmer’s markets during peak season, there will likely be opportunities.
You will have guidance, support, and clear expectations, but the additional challenge of childcare means that I will not always be in the field. This means that the job requires someone who can work independently, but ask for help when they need it.
There is some flexibility in work days, but a commitment of 24 hours (ideally three 8 hour work days) is needed. I will need someone to work on Friday, ideally Tuesday (although it is not completely necessary), and you could choose Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday as your third day. Flexibility is ideal for any candidate, as there might only be 20 hours of work in the earlier (wetter) months of the season, and come peak season, I might ask you to put in longer days, or work an extra day.
This position will begin in mid March 2018 and will finish at the end of October, with the possibility of continued limited hours in November and December. Work typically starts 7-8am, and finishes 4-5 pm.
- Greenhouse propagation– follow planting plan to propagate starts in trays
- Small Machine work-Use BCS tractor to mow, build raised beds with plow and create final beds with power harrow/tiller. Use string trimmer as needed.
- Planting– Plant starts into field, and direct seed crops using jang and earthway seeders.
- Weeding– use hoes, wheel hoes, flame weeders and hand tools to keep crops as clean as possible
- Harvest– harvest crops to high quality standards for market
- Irrigation– work with a drip irrigation system to insure that crops get watered.
- Record Keeping- keeping track of the food harvested, seeds planted, and work done on farm
- Support other larger infrastructural projects on farm.
- Possible opportunities to work market booths on weekends.
- At least 1 year of farm experience (ideally 2), ideally in organic small scale agriculture
- Experience in using small machines, ideally BCS experience
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Able to work long hours in adverse conditions
- Experience in plant propagation into trays
- Experience with drip irrigation
- Experience harvesting and washing vegetables
- Able to work independently for long periods of time.
- Can stay focused on tasks for long periods
- Preferably, able to drive a manual vehicle
- Curiosity and willingness to learn new things
- Confidence in your ability to care for plants
- Able to keep a positive attitude in adverse conditions
- Preferably, a love for good food
If interested, please apply to Melissa Streng at Melissa@sunlovefarm.com
Please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references.